ILMINSTER NEWS: Concerns about Tonka Toy convoy moving in and out of Canal Way

COUNCILLORS are concerned that there will be horrendous problems on Canal Way in Ilminster when a convoy of “Tonka Toys” descend on the town for the construction of Persimmon Homes’ planned 400-home development.
Members of Ilminster Town Council’s planning, highways and transport committee voted unanimously on Tuesday (February 6, 2018) to recommend refusal to Persimmon’s application for the first phase of the development consisting of 144 homes.
Persimmon was given outline planning permission for 400 houses by South Somerset District Council late last year and has now submitted details for the first phase of the development to receive final approval.
But local councillors and residents have said that there have not been enough details given and that some of the documents and reports are already out-of-date.
And a number of councillors indicated during Tuesday’s night meeting at Greenfylde First School that there appeared to have been little thought given to what will happen on the local roads during the building period.
Cllr Ian Mackillop said: “I have seen no information about the impact of traffic to and from Canal Way as a result of this development which could have serious consequences.”
It is highly likely that now Persimmon has been given outline permission for the development, it will go-ahead – although it is expected that the company may have to amend various parts of the overall plans.
And Cllr Jane Dewick, recently co-opted onto Ilminster Town Council, said she was looking ahead and fearful of what lies in store for the area during the building works - referring to the expected multitude of lorries, diggers and trucks as Tonka Toys.
“I have got some grave concerns about this application,” she said. “Access to the site is a major concern for me, while I’m also really concerned about all these Tonka Toys that will be coming in.
“The information provided by Persimmon doesn’t give us the information we need in my opinion.”
Although Ilminster Town Council has recommended refusal of the scheme – a final decision on the plans will be made by South Somerset District Council.
More on Tuesday night’s debate about the Persimmon application at Ilminster Town Council can be found on this link - http://www.ilminsterpress.co.uk/blog/2018/02/07/ilminster-news-town-council-says-no-to-persimmon-homes-first-phase-plans-for-canal-way/ .
Tags:
News.
Recent Posts
ILMINSTER NEWS: Coffee morning raises an amazing amount of money!
ILMINSTER NEWS: Actor James Purefoy to switch-on Ilminster’s Christmas lights
Coronation of King Charles III
RIP Queen Elizabeth II – who served the UK and Commonwealth with such distinction
ILMINSTER NEWS: We must all keep the community spirit shining bright in Ilminster
ILMINSTER NEWS: More 20mph speed limit signs are needed in town centre say residents
ILMINSTER NEWS: Organ concert at The Minster will be one not to be missed
ILMINSTER NEWS: Cash point explosion rocks Ilminster town centre
ILMINSTER NEWS: Swanmead headteacher devastated at council’s decision
ILMINSTER NEWS: Council makes “significant milestone” for education future
ILMINSTER NEWS: Swanmead governors are shocked and angry over planned education changes
COMPETITION: Sophy’s great New Year giveaway competition
SOUTH SOMERSET NEWS: Julie remembers the Munich tragedy of the Busby Babes
ILMINSTER NEWS: Have YOUR say NOW on controversial school changes
ILMINSTER NEWS: Council ploughing ahead with controversial school changes

















