ILMINSTER NEWS: Shudrick Valley housing plans turned down by district council

CONTROVERSIAL proposals to build 220 homes on a picturesque area of Ilminster have been turned down today (Thursday, May 19, 2016) by South Somerset District Council.
The council’s own website has revealed that a decision notice of refusal – dated today – has been sent to applicants Dillington Estate and C. G. Fry & Son who had earmarked development on land at Shudrick Valley.
News of the amended application caused anger among objectors earlier this year who said that the planned development – reduced from an earlier proposal in 2014 for 330 homes – went against the Local Plan.
The Local Plan – which governs future housing developments in South Somerset up until 2028 – was agreed last year and identifies Ilminster’s direction of growth as Canal Way rather than Shudrick Valley.
That was the number one reason for the council’s development manager, David Norris, to tell the applicants that their Shudrick Valley proposals were being given the thumbs down.
“The proposed development by reason of its scale and location is contrary to the council’s Local Plan housing strategy,” he said.
PHOTO – TOP: The outlined proposed development area of Shudrick Valley.
PHOTO – RIGHT: Plans to turn this area into a 220-home housing development have been refused by South Somerset District Council.
Mr Norris said the application constituted a “significant sized” housing development outside of the council’s identified direction of growth for the town.
And he added: “Insufficient information has been submitted to us to demonstrate that the development is acceptable in terms of traffic impact and highway safety at the Townsend and Bay Hill junction and that the proposal would be served by safe and suitable means of access for all people.
“The proposed development would have an adverse impact upon the significant and setting of designated heritage assets within the locality.”
Mr Norris has indicated, however, that the applicant has a right of appeal against the council’s decision.
Tags:
News.
Recent Posts
ILMINSTER NEWS: Coffee morning raises an amazing amount of money!
ILMINSTER NEWS: Actor James Purefoy to switch-on Ilminster’s Christmas lights
Coronation of King Charles III
RIP Queen Elizabeth II – who served the UK and Commonwealth with such distinction
ILMINSTER NEWS: We must all keep the community spirit shining bright in Ilminster
ILMINSTER NEWS: More 20mph speed limit signs are needed in town centre say residents
ILMINSTER NEWS: Organ concert at The Minster will be one not to be missed
ILMINSTER NEWS: Cash point explosion rocks Ilminster town centre
ILMINSTER NEWS: Swanmead headteacher devastated at council’s decision
ILMINSTER NEWS: Council makes “significant milestone” for education future
ILMINSTER NEWS: Swanmead governors are shocked and angry over planned education changes
COMPETITION: Sophy’s great New Year giveaway competition
SOUTH SOMERSET NEWS: Julie remembers the Munich tragedy of the Busby Babes
ILMINSTER NEWS: Have YOUR say NOW on controversial school changes
ILMINSTER NEWS: Council ploughing ahead with controversial school changes

















