ILMINSTER NEWS: Town is still a safe place to live – despite increase in crime figures

PEOPLE have been told that Ilminster is still a safe place to “work, live and play” despite crime figures having gone up in the past year for the area.
PC Andy Stuart spoke at last night’s (Tuesday, April 19, 2016) annual community assembly at Greenfylde First School in Ilminster where he told people that “crime was rising everywhere and would continue to go up.”
He reported there had been rises in shoplifting, sexual assaults, burglary, non-dwelling burglary, theft of motor vehicles and violent assaults.
But it was not all bad news as PC Stuart said there had been decreases in criminal damage, thefts from motor vehicles and incidents of religious and racial hatred.
PC Stuart said there had been 336 crimes committed in the Ilminster, Broadway and Horton area over the past 12 month as opposed to 231 the previous year.
But he said that the figures “reflected” those across the Avon and Somerset area and did not surprise him.
He told the audience that there had been a difference in the way police reported crime which is increasing the figures.
“We have now brought in a new system and so even though nothing more is actually going on it means that just more is being reported as crime,” he said. “The crimes that go on in Ilminster go on in every other town.
“Crime is rising everywhere and to be honest the figures aren’t as high as I had been expecting.
“The rise in the figures is nothing to be concerned about – Ilminster is still a safe place to work, live and play.”
Tags:
News.
Recent Posts
ILMINSTER NEWS: Coffee morning raises an amazing amount of money!
ILMINSTER NEWS: Actor James Purefoy to switch-on Ilminster’s Christmas lights
Coronation of King Charles III
RIP Queen Elizabeth II – who served the UK and Commonwealth with such distinction
ILMINSTER NEWS: We must all keep the community spirit shining bright in Ilminster
ILMINSTER NEWS: More 20mph speed limit signs are needed in town centre say residents
ILMINSTER NEWS: Organ concert at The Minster will be one not to be missed
ILMINSTER NEWS: Cash point explosion rocks Ilminster town centre
ILMINSTER NEWS: Swanmead headteacher devastated at council’s decision
ILMINSTER NEWS: Council makes “significant milestone” for education future
ILMINSTER NEWS: Swanmead governors are shocked and angry over planned education changes
COMPETITION: Sophy’s great New Year giveaway competition
SOUTH SOMERSET NEWS: Julie remembers the Munich tragedy of the Busby Babes
ILMINSTER NEWS: Have YOUR say NOW on controversial school changes
ILMINSTER NEWS: Council ploughing ahead with controversial school changes

















