ILMINSTER NEWS: Mayor would want gold-plated toilets if £300k overspend was true

THE Mayor of Ilminster has said she would have expected to find “gold-plated loos” at the Archie Gooch Pavilion if wild reports of a £300,000 overspend on the project were to be believed.
The pavilion at Britten’s Field officially opened last year and it has become a greatly used community asset rather than just solely by Ilminster Town Football Club which has it as its headquarters.
But there is still some work to be finished at the pavilion and these works have remained in the pipeline – a situation not helped by the fact that the original contractors for the project went into administration.
The £600,000 scheme – which received funding from various sources – did go over-budget by £22,400 and Ilminster Town Council has put aside £10,000 to help with completing a “snagging” list.
But that is loose change in comparison to some myths doing the rounds in Ilminster where people have suggested the project overspent by a whopping £300,000.
The Mayor, Cllr Val Keitch, speaking at Ilminster Town Council on Tuesday (August 15, 2017), said: “I would expect gold-plated loos for that sort of money.”
It was pointed out that some outstanding grant funding for the project would be paid once jobs on the “snagging” list had been completed.
Ilminster Town Council played a leading role in the pavilion project which is now managed by Ilminster Sports Club Ltd.
Tags:
News.
Recent Posts
ILMINSTER NEWS: Coffee morning raises an amazing amount of money!
ILMINSTER NEWS: Actor James Purefoy to switch-on Ilminster’s Christmas lights
Coronation of King Charles III
RIP Queen Elizabeth II – who served the UK and Commonwealth with such distinction
ILMINSTER NEWS: We must all keep the community spirit shining bright in Ilminster
ILMINSTER NEWS: More 20mph speed limit signs are needed in town centre say residents
ILMINSTER NEWS: Organ concert at The Minster will be one not to be missed
ILMINSTER NEWS: Cash point explosion rocks Ilminster town centre
ILMINSTER NEWS: Swanmead headteacher devastated at council’s decision
ILMINSTER NEWS: Council makes “significant milestone” for education future
ILMINSTER NEWS: Swanmead governors are shocked and angry over planned education changes
COMPETITION: Sophy’s great New Year giveaway competition
SOUTH SOMERSET NEWS: Julie remembers the Munich tragedy of the Busby Babes
ILMINSTER NEWS: Have YOUR say NOW on controversial school changes
ILMINSTER NEWS: Council ploughing ahead with controversial school changes

















