ILMINSTER NEWS: Three cheers for the Save Shudrick Valley Group

THE sky may have been grey, but the sun was definitely shining in one garden in Ilminster on Saturday (April 15, 2017) morning as campaigners joined together to celebrate a hard-fought battle against development.
Supporters of the Save Shudrick Valley Group met at a home overlooking the beautiful valley for a photo-call and to congratulate each other on a job well done.
It was revealed earlier this week that the SSVG had finally won its six-year battle to safeguard the picturesque part of Ilminster from the bulldozers.
A Planning Inspector ruled in support of the SSVG and dismissed an appeal made by developers C. G. Fry and Son and Dillington Estate to build 220 homes on Shudrick Valley on the edge of Ilminster.
An eight-day public inquiry was held earlier this year after the developers appealed against a decision by South Somerset District Council who rejected the plans in May 2016.
Campaigner John Gidlow, whose home overlooks Shudrick Valley, said it had been a long battle, but had proved successful in the end.
He said it goes to show that “people power” can win every now and again.
A spokesman for the SSVG said that the group would like to thank everyone for their support over the past six years.
More on the Planning Inspectorate’s decision in favour of the SSVG can be found here - http://www.ilminsterpress.co.uk/blog/2017/04/11/ilminster-news-shudrick-valley-saved-as-appeal-is-rejected/ .






PHOTOS: Shudrick Valley in Ilminster - saved from development.
Tags:
News.
Recent Posts
ILMINSTER NEWS: Coffee morning raises an amazing amount of money!
ILMINSTER NEWS: Actor James Purefoy to switch-on Ilminster’s Christmas lights
Coronation of King Charles III
RIP Queen Elizabeth II – who served the UK and Commonwealth with such distinction
ILMINSTER NEWS: We must all keep the community spirit shining bright in Ilminster
ILMINSTER NEWS: More 20mph speed limit signs are needed in town centre say residents
ILMINSTER NEWS: Organ concert at The Minster will be one not to be missed
ILMINSTER NEWS: Cash point explosion rocks Ilminster town centre
ILMINSTER NEWS: Swanmead headteacher devastated at council’s decision
ILMINSTER NEWS: Council makes “significant milestone” for education future
ILMINSTER NEWS: Swanmead governors are shocked and angry over planned education changes
COMPETITION: Sophy’s great New Year giveaway competition
SOUTH SOMERSET NEWS: Julie remembers the Munich tragedy of the Busby Babes
ILMINSTER NEWS: Have YOUR say NOW on controversial school changes
ILMINSTER NEWS: Council ploughing ahead with controversial school changes

















