ILMINSTER AREA NEWS: Arson-hit pavilion will rise again from the ashes

FUNDRAISING to rebuild the much-loved Lawrence Kellett Pavilion at Dowlish Wake near Ilminster, which was severely damaged by arsonists, will start immediately.
Villagers and members of the Playing Field Trust are determined to ensure that the pavilion will rise from the ashes and not let the mindless arsonists from winning the day.
Trust chairman Mike Lane has told people that they will be “moving forward with hope and opportunism” to make sure the “wonderful community asset” is rebuilt.
“All the Trustees will be working hard over the coming months with a positive attitude to ensure this happens,” he said.
PHOTO - TOP: The burnt-out remains of the pavilion. Photo courtesy of Dowlish and Donyatt Football Club.
PHOTO - RIGHT: How the pavilion used to look before arsonists struck last night.
The fundraising will start on Saturday (October 15, 2016) with a Beetle Drive – which had originally been planned to be held at the pavilion and was already a “sold out” event.
The Beetle Drive will now be held at the Speke Hall in Dowlish Wake and with the venue having more space than the pavilion more people are invited to attend.
“We are using the evening to launch our positive programme to rebuild the pavilion,” added Mr Lane.
Dowlish and Donyatt FC, who use the pavilion and playing field for home games in the Perry Street League, have had to cancel their planned Division Two match tomorrow (Saturday, October 15, 2016) with Thorncombe because of the fire.
But they have stressed that “they will be back.”
A Perry Street League spokesman said: “Our thoughts are with Dowlish and Donyatt FC following a fire which has destroyed their changing facilities along with all of their kit and equipment.”
The footballers have said they will be more than happy to help with the rebuild and fundraising.
PHOTO - RIGHT: Fire rages at the pavilion. Photo courtesy of Mike Lane.
Mr Lane, speaking on social media, added: “Thank you everyone for all your messages of support.
“We will rebuild this wonderful facility and help the football club, croquet club and other users of the pavilion.
“We will keep everyone updated on fundraising and I’m so grateful to everyone who has given offers of practical help.”
Fire raged through the pavilion on Thursday (October 13, 2016) night and it was not long before police and Fire Service investigators came to the conclusion that it had been started deliberately.
Anyone with information about the fire can contact police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800-555-111.
Tags:
News.
Recent Posts
ILMINSTER NEWS: Coffee morning raises an amazing amount of money!
ILMINSTER NEWS: Actor James Purefoy to switch-on Ilminster’s Christmas lights
Coronation of King Charles III
RIP Queen Elizabeth II – who served the UK and Commonwealth with such distinction
ILMINSTER NEWS: We must all keep the community spirit shining bright in Ilminster
ILMINSTER NEWS: More 20mph speed limit signs are needed in town centre say residents
ILMINSTER NEWS: Organ concert at The Minster will be one not to be missed
ILMINSTER NEWS: Cash point explosion rocks Ilminster town centre
ILMINSTER NEWS: Swanmead headteacher devastated at council’s decision
ILMINSTER NEWS: Council makes “significant milestone” for education future
ILMINSTER NEWS: Swanmead governors are shocked and angry over planned education changes
COMPETITION: Sophy’s great New Year giveaway competition
SOUTH SOMERSET NEWS: Julie remembers the Munich tragedy of the Busby Babes
ILMINSTER NEWS: Have YOUR say NOW on controversial school changes
ILMINSTER NEWS: Council ploughing ahead with controversial school changes

















