ILMINSTER NEWS: Traders counting the cost due to roadworks

THE Ilminster Chamber of Commerce has said that some businesses have reported a 30 per cent drop in trade due to roadworks in the town.
Station Road – a main route into the town – was closed for a number of weeks recently while essential drainage works were carried out. Thankfully those works finished on Friday (March 18, 2016) and the road re-opened.
But traders have been left counting the cost.
The Chamber of Commerce met earlier this month on March 9, 2016, where Phillip Wyatt, of Ilminstar Hardware, and Clinton Bonner, of Bonners Butchers, were elected president and secretary respectively.
A report of the Chamber meeting by Cllr Rob Drayton, who is Ilminster Town Council’s representative on the group, said: “Chamber members reported a fall in trade of around 30 per cent for some shops and businesses while the roadworks were taking place in Station Road.
“The Chamber said it was important they are given as early notice as possible when future roadworks are taking place to try and consult and mitigate for the disruption and damage caused.”
Both Ilminster Hardware and Bonners Butchers laid on special offers for shoppers for home deliveries during the Staiton Road works.
Cllr Drayton’s report will go before Ilminster Town Council at its meeting tonight (Tuesday, March 22, 2016).
A new set of roadworks have started this week further up Station Road by the Shrubbery Hotel.
Tags:
News.
Recent Posts
ILMINSTER NEWS: Coffee morning raises an amazing amount of money!
ILMINSTER NEWS: Actor James Purefoy to switch-on Ilminster’s Christmas lights
Coronation of King Charles III
RIP Queen Elizabeth II – who served the UK and Commonwealth with such distinction
ILMINSTER NEWS: We must all keep the community spirit shining bright in Ilminster
ILMINSTER NEWS: More 20mph speed limit signs are needed in town centre say residents
ILMINSTER NEWS: Organ concert at The Minster will be one not to be missed
ILMINSTER NEWS: Cash point explosion rocks Ilminster town centre
ILMINSTER NEWS: Swanmead headteacher devastated at council’s decision
ILMINSTER NEWS: Council makes “significant milestone” for education future
ILMINSTER NEWS: Swanmead governors are shocked and angry over planned education changes
COMPETITION: Sophy’s great New Year giveaway competition
SOUTH SOMERSET NEWS: Julie remembers the Munich tragedy of the Busby Babes
ILMINSTER NEWS: Have YOUR say NOW on controversial school changes
ILMINSTER NEWS: Council ploughing ahead with controversial school changes

















