ILMINSTER NEWS: Road safety concerns over Victorian Evening

ORGANISERS of this year’s Victorian Evening are looking at recruiting more marshals to help ensure that festive revellers are kept safe.
It comes following news that a number of motorists ignored the road closure signs in East Street during last year’s Victorian Evening in November - an event which each year heralds the start of the countdown to Christmas in Ilminster and attracts several thousand people into the town centre.
Members of Ilminster Chamber of Commerce are concerned and said during their recent meeting on March 9, 2016, that they will look to have in place marshals to stop motorists ignoring the road closure signs.
A report of the Chamber meeting by Cllr Rob Drayton, who is Ilminster Town Council’s representative on the group, said: “Some motorists drove through the crowds in the town centre before the road had re-opened, while one road sign was destroyed by a vehicle driving over it.
“The Chamber is looking into how they can arrange marshals in time for this year’s event.”
Cllr Drayton’s report will go before Ilminster Town Council at its meeting tonight (Tuesday, March 22, 2016).



PHOTOS - ABOVE: A few photos from last year's Victorian Evening in Ilminster which coincides with the switching-on of the Christmas Lights.
Tags:
News.
Recent Posts
ILMINSTER NEWS: Coffee morning raises an amazing amount of money!
ILMINSTER NEWS: Actor James Purefoy to switch-on Ilminster’s Christmas lights
Coronation of King Charles III
RIP Queen Elizabeth II – who served the UK and Commonwealth with such distinction
ILMINSTER NEWS: We must all keep the community spirit shining bright in Ilminster
ILMINSTER NEWS: More 20mph speed limit signs are needed in town centre say residents
ILMINSTER NEWS: Organ concert at The Minster will be one not to be missed
ILMINSTER NEWS: Cash point explosion rocks Ilminster town centre
ILMINSTER NEWS: Swanmead headteacher devastated at council’s decision
ILMINSTER NEWS: Council makes “significant milestone” for education future
ILMINSTER NEWS: Swanmead governors are shocked and angry over planned education changes
COMPETITION: Sophy’s great New Year giveaway competition
SOUTH SOMERSET NEWS: Julie remembers the Munich tragedy of the Busby Babes
ILMINSTER NEWS: Have YOUR say NOW on controversial school changes
ILMINSTER NEWS: Council ploughing ahead with controversial school changes

















