ILMINSTER NEWS: New school idea is just a myth say councillors

ILMINSTER NEWS: New school idea is just a myth say councillors

COUNCILLORS have said it is a “myth” that Ilminster will be getting a new school as part of a proposed 450-home development off Canal Way.

The outline planning application put forward by Persimmon Homes for the development shows an access to what has been signposted as a “new school.”

But members of Ilminster Town Council are far from convinced that that school will ever come to fruition any time soon.

Cllr Roger Swann, speaking at the council’s planning, highways and transport committee meeting on Tuesday (February 14, 2017), said: “Can we please scotch this myth about a new school.

“It is a pipe dream and this talk of a new school is total disregard to the intelligence of the people of Ilminster.

“Would it not be better just to make that site an area of recreational use?”ILMINSTER NEWS: New school idea is just a myth say councillors

Persimmon Homes’ Jamie Grant, who attended the meeting, said: “I have always been told it will be a school site – it’s owned by Somerset County Council.”

But Cllr Swann added: “Somerset County Council is strapped for cash. It isn’t going to fork out many millions to build a school.”

Cllr Stuart Shepherd said: “It’s a myth. It’s never going to happen as the education authorities haven’t got that sort of money.

“It’s a spin – but I’m just not sure who is doing the spinning.”

The Mayor, Cllr Val Keitch, said she was disappointed that an officer from Somerset County Council had not been able to attend the meeting.

She said she wanted to know more about what sort of school it would be, what would it be replacing and who would be funding it.

Cllr Linda Vijeh, who represents Ilminster at County Hall, said she had been told by a schools officer that there were plans to build a new school in the town.

And despite what town councillors have said, an email sent by Janet Frost, of Somerset County Council, to planner Andrew Gunn at South Somerset District Council says that there is a need for a new school in Ilminster.

“As you are aware the Greenfylde First School is located on a constrained site and cannot sustain any further expansion,” she said.

“The accumulative effect of developments coming forward in the area will necessitate the need to expand Greenfylde and this is not achievable in its current location so relocation of Greenfylde is very likely.

“This development will also bring forward the need for an additional 52 middle school places. The proposed development is within the catchment of Swanmead Middle School.

“This school will need to be expanded to accommodate those additional numbers.”

Ten of the 11 town councillors voted in favour of recommending refusal to the outline Persimmon planning application – proposed by Cllr Julie Fowler and seconded by Cllr Don Kinder - while the other councillor abstained.

A final decision on the application will be made by South Somerset District Council, but it has already been suggested by Highways England that the matter should be put on hold for three months to allow Persimmon to address outstanding highways concerns.

Tags:
News.