ILMINSTER NEWS: Councillors speak of concern over crime surge

COUNCILLORS have spoken of their concern about the apparent rise in crime in Ilminster.
But the Deputy Mayor of Ilminster, Cllr Tony Walker, said that he did not know whether this was the actual case or whether it was being emphasised more on social media such as Facebook.
A police report presented at last night’s (Tuesday, February 23, 2016) meeting of Ilminster Town Council said that over the past 30 days there had been five thefts from shops/businesses, two assaults, one act of criminal damage, four counts of harassment and three public order offences as well as three sexual offences.
“There seems to be a large number of criminal activities going on,” Cllr Walker told his fellow councillors. “Is this situation developing or just showing up more now because of Facebook? There seems to be lots of cars being broken into and properties.”
Only this week there have been reported break-ins at garage lock-ups in Moolham Lane and the St Margaret’s Hospice charity shop in Silver Street.
But Cllr Andrew Shearman said that criminal activity “comes in waves” while Cllr Sophie Storey suggested that it was “unfortunate” that a number of crimes being committed “by the same people” had all come at the same time.
“It is just a spate,” she told councillors. “I don’t think our town is going downhill at a rate of knots.”
Tags:
News.
Recent Posts
ILMINSTER NEWS: Coffee morning raises an amazing amount of money!
ILMINSTER NEWS: Actor James Purefoy to switch-on Ilminster’s Christmas lights
Coronation of King Charles III
RIP Queen Elizabeth II – who served the UK and Commonwealth with such distinction
ILMINSTER NEWS: We must all keep the community spirit shining bright in Ilminster
ILMINSTER NEWS: More 20mph speed limit signs are needed in town centre say residents
ILMINSTER NEWS: Organ concert at The Minster will be one not to be missed
ILMINSTER NEWS: Cash point explosion rocks Ilminster town centre
ILMINSTER NEWS: Swanmead headteacher devastated at council’s decision
ILMINSTER NEWS: Council makes “significant milestone” for education future
ILMINSTER NEWS: Swanmead governors are shocked and angry over planned education changes
COMPETITION: Sophy’s great New Year giveaway competition
SOUTH SOMERSET NEWS: Julie remembers the Munich tragedy of the Busby Babes
ILMINSTER NEWS: Have YOUR say NOW on controversial school changes
ILMINSTER NEWS: Council ploughing ahead with controversial school changes

















